For our final fabrication project, we learned about motors and techniques for how to mount them.
In our physical computation classes, we have learned how to use our servos and connect them with our arduinos but not too much.
Admittedly, this was the first assignment I struggled with project ideation. For some reason, I have not really imagined many projects that had moving elements in this way so it was interesting to try to figure that out.
One recommendation / tip in our class has been to learn where you gravitate to. To learn your standard. I like using found / common objects and soft materials.
Taking inspiration from the arduino project hub, I decided to mount a flower and figure out an enclosure for it.
First, I started by testing out the servo motor to make sure it worked and that I could program different things to it.
I then grabbed materials to create my flower and bought a micro breadboard to more easily fit into my enclosure. I tried different pot sizes to determine what would be able to give me the best amount of room to work with without being too big.
I then used cardboard and felt to create two inner discs. I put the initial cardboard disc right above the breadboard and then set the motor on top of that and then put a felt disc over the motor and thread through part of the spinning portion of the motor so that I could attach the stem of the flower to it.